Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 8 Thoughts from Linda

Day 8   Thoughts  from Linda

Wow, can it be a whole week already since we arrived here?  Time flies when you’re this busy!  On the way to Haiti, I was wondering what God had in store for me here.  Mike’s sister Barb is on our team as well, and as we looked around at the destruction of this city, we were just praying that as women we wouldn’t be in the way.  It just seems like this is no place for a woman to be (although Sarah was waiting for us when we got there) The city is just destroyed.  People are sleeping on the streets in front of their homes, almost everyone is sleeping outside.  They have made their homes out of sheets and sticks or whatever they could find.  Even when we were at the “hostel” for the first 2 days, the NBC team (who were also staying there) were sleeping outside in tents around the pool.  I was so tired I didn’t really think about it, and crashed in our room.   Food is scare and stores have been destroyed, it seems we’re all scrounging for food and water.  I feel so blessed to have been able to bring food in with us.  (Thanks Steve for the tip.  Less clothes and more food J  Barb’s water filter has been a life line too)

 At the end of our first long day in our new house our director looked at me and asked “Can we invite Christianville to dinner tomorrow night?” I swallowed hard and replied, “And how many of them are there?”  “Just twelve, so with all of us, we will be 22! “ “Sure” I said, and silently prayed for help.   My husband knows better than to do that to me when I’m in my normal circumstances!  Now ladies, think with me here, we BARELY moved in.  We had just gotten the water to work, plugged in a fridge and stove, and had dehydrated food that we had brought from the States.  Lord help me!  We didn’t even know if we could find an open store to buy food!  (I was certainly glad I wasn’t the only woman)  We quickly found a Haitian woman to help us and the next morning found an open store.  No chicken, no flour, but we scrounged enough other things to make a meal.  On the way home, the brakes of our truck went completely out.  Just a normal day in Haiti I guess.  We prayed and sang our way home.  I figured we would be fine, but didn’t want our driver to kill anyone on the way.  By the grace of God, we pulled off a beautiful candlelit dinner.  (The candles were held up by crushed rubble in cups)   We even had cake!    They told us that no one ever asks them over for dinner, and they were so very grateful.  As they left there was a tremor, but Barb and I didn’t feel it.  We were engrossed in conversation while we were doing the dishes.  Throughout the evening we had asked people to tell their stories of where they were when the earthquake hit.  Everyone had a unique story of God’s goodness and grace.  No one seems to blame God, but instead they are seeking him in gratefulness that they are alive.  It was humbling to hear their stories.  One Haitian told me he was 45km from his home when the quake hit, and it took him 9 hours to get home to find his family.  They just cried when they were all together again.  They all survived.  The earthquake hit at 5:00 in the evening.  It gets dark here around 6:00.  Imagine the terror for these people to find themselves in the complete darkness one hour after everything caved in around them.  Searching for loved ones in the pitch black had to be so terrifying. I can’t even imagine…

That night I was sleeping on the roof with Mike, out under the stars. (We had mosquito tents over us.  Mike had been kicked out of the guy’s room for snoring! J)   A tremor hit around 1:00am.  I actually heard it before I felt it.  (Sounded like a big truck rumbling by)  Mike went back to sleep fast, but I ended up meeting Barb downstairs.  She had woken up as well.  I guess it was the combo of hearing all the stories throughout the night and then feeling such a strong tremor that helped us decide to set up a tarp outside for the next night.  J  There were 2 more tremors that night, just confirming our decision.  ReachGlobal had given out about 50 shelter boxes, so we are tent-less.  But we have set up a tarp over us, and another underneath.  Even in the rain last night we slept well.  I figure I would rather meet a critter than a quake. 

 Since then, we received 7 more people in our house and feed about 19 every meal.  (Why did I think the teams would come AFTER we got the house ready?)  We had to hunt for more food and supplies yesterday, and are grateful for what we found.  The house is coming together in warp speed.  (Moving outside the ladies lost their room and attached bathroom.  We are mourning the loss of our cleaner bathroom.  We now share the main bath with the rest of the house) The new team is working on fixing up this house with bunk beds and a second floor.  While we went to the city yesterday looking for supplies, our Haitian cook bought 6 live chickens and killed them for supper.  It is certainly an adventure to try to feed 19 with limited supplies and the dehydrated food we brought in.   A special thanks to Eagan Hills Church for the oatmeal, tuna, beef jerky and granola bars.  They have been filling our tummies.    We are learning that we don’t have to be filled at every meal, it is sufficient.  God is good.  We have so much more than those around us.  We are grateful beyond words.  Last night, we blew out our generator and lost all our lights, just before dinner.  We put a head flashlight on our Haitian cook’s forehead and all laughed together as we finished up the meal.  Our new neighbors “happened” to be there at the same time and borrowed us their generator for the evening.  We just bought a new one this afternoon.  It should arrive soon. J

 Ali wrote about the orphanage we heard about that needs food up in the mountain.  We found out that other relief organizations have also heard about them, and we ran into someone from Samaritans Purse while buying supplies that are also willing to help.  It is beyond our ability to feed them alone.  We are here to network and connect the supplies with the needy.  Keep praying, but it seems that God has his eye on them and help is on the way. 

 Sometimes I don’t know what keeps us going 18 hours a day.  I am sure it is your prayers and a gracious God.  We had Tom and his orphan children over for lunch today.  I have to smile, because I literally prayed over the tuna salad, and said “Lord, make it the 5 loaves and 2 fish and please multiply this food.  We have to feed our entire household plus those you send our way.”   We have the leftovers in the fridge.  Just God’s little miracle for today.  Please keep praying.  We feel your prayers and need them so much.  Barb and I have found out we are very needed here.  What would all these boys do without us!

 

PS.  One of our construction team workers just had a tarantula jump on his arm when he picked up a cement block from the yard.   Hmmm...  That’s my bedroom.  Keep praying!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Linda! A tarantula! Please give my husband a hug for me will ya? I hope he is in the group sleeping outside. I wondered why I didn't hear from Rob today at all. No electricity explains that. We are praying for you all almost constantly. So many people ask each day how you all are doing. Looking forward to this weekend with all Ali, Brad, Becca, David and maybe Alessandra. This week has gone by so fast. I can't believe you've been there a week already. Love to everyone there and wish I was there cooking with you!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and Linda!

    Praying for you as are many while you serve in Haiti--Brian had two pet tarantulas, but I'd prefer they move out before I serve in Haiti.

    Just hearing your voices in your posts makes me aware of your needs and your heart(what a woman to have a candlelit dinner for 20+!)...can't wait to hug ya'll in person at LeadTeam!

    Prayerfully,
    Cathi(for the Duggan family)

    ReplyDelete